Vote Prosperity – 2018 Provincial Election Campaign
Tillsonburg, Ont., Wednesday, October 11, 2017 – Today, the Tillsonburg District Chamber of Commerce in partnership with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) released Vote Prosperity, a platform and campaign outlining the Ontario business community’s priorities for the upcoming 2018 provincial election. Vote Prosperityprovides a series of proactive recommendations that all of Ontario’s political parties should adopt to ensure growth for the province’s economy.
“Small businesses are the backbone of Tillsonburg’s economy, they support working families in our local community and across the province, and that’s why candidates from every party in every community will become familiar with Vote Prosperity,” said Stephanie Nevins, President, Tillsonburg District Chamber of Commerce. “Ontario’s business community is prepared to be bold and with Vote Prosperity we are seeking to motivate our political leaders to follow.”
In releasing the platform today, the Ontario Chamber Network will strengthen the political narrative between now and the 2018 election. Vote Prosperity is based on four aspirational pillars for Ontario:
- Strengthen business competitiveness: Rising input costs, especially those costs deriving from government regulation and policy, are the most common and acute concern of the business community in Ontario.
- Foster Job Creation: A robust labour market consisting of good jobs is essential to prosperity for all Ontarians.
- Build Healthy Communities: Building strong communities through adequate and affordable housing, sustainable health care, and good infrastructure also supports business prosperity and growth, which supports those communities.
- Improve Government Accountability: Poor implementation of government initiatives can result in resource waste, political frustration and disruption for ordinary citizens, as demonstrated by a series of policy failures under governments of all political stripes.
The platform provides 18 unique recommendations that will help bolster Ontario’s long-term economic future, while also addressing the pressing issues Ontario currently faces. Some of the 18 recommendations in Vote Prosperity include:
- Reinstating scheduled reductions in the Corporate Income Tax, standardize the Business Education Tax and reduce the Employer Health Tax.
- Conduct and publish the results for a comprehensive review of the electricity sector, including an objective economic impact analysis assessing the full range of inputs that make up the Global Adjustment (GA), and then pursue cost-reducing measures based on the results.
- Focus on strategic growth policies by ensuring that land use planning and development regulations are aligned, to increase density and create more housing stock.
- Create a meaningful plan to tackle the debt and more towards balanced or surplus budgets.