ANNUAL AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE 2021
2021 CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Nomination Deadline: Friday April 30, 2021
This year, the Tillsonburg District Chamber of Commerce Awards of Excellence will be taking place on Thursday November 18, 2021. Regardless of whether it can safely be an in-person event, we are going to make the most of it and celebrate excellence within our Tillsonburg business community.
Now is the time to start thinking about recognizing deserving businesses and organizations in our community and sending in your nominations!
Quick Facts About the 2021 Awards of Excellence:
- They are still going to be the largest business awards in our Tillsonburg community.
- You do not need to be a Chamber member to be nominated for an award.
- Submissions of nominees are evaluated by a Selection Committee composed of business professionals from Tillsonburg's business community.
- Anyone can nominate a business, and it's really easy to do so!
The Selection Process
- The nominations for the twenty-third Annual Awards of Excellence open Monday March 15, 2021. A nomination form is included in this package.
- Each award category has specific eligibility criteria. Nominees are requested to submit a description of the business being nominated, and the category they are being nominated for. Information should include the date the business started, description of operations, number of employees, as well as the reasons for nomination and their accomplishments.
- Nominations for more than one award are permitted, however, a separate submission and nomination form must accompany each category submission.
- Nominations will close on Friday April 30, 2021.
- The Selection Committee consists of: three Past Chamber Presidents, the current President and Vice President, our Platinum Sponsors, past award winners, and business community members. They will review all submissions independently, and then as a group evaluate them using the eligibility criteria.
- Recipients will be selected based upon who best adheres to the eligibility criteria and the overall goals of recognizing business excellence. Those who are not finalists can qualify for future nominations.
- The decision of the Selection Committee will remain confidential until the evening of the 2021 Awards of Excellence held Thursday November 18, 2021 where each award recipient will be publicly announced.
- The decisions of the Selection Committee of the Annual Awards of Excellence are final, completely independent and without any form of external influence.
BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT AWARD - One Award
The award recipient will be a manufacturing, commercial, retail, service or not-for-profit business that has demonstrated one or more of the following:
- Implemented an operational improvement that has resulted in increased efficiency and reduced costs
- A focus on continuous improvement as evidenced by investment in training, implementation of best practices, investment in new technology, etc
The award recipient is defined as a company that has been operating for more than two years.
COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD - One Award
The award recipient will be a business that fosters a team approach to community involvement/service through one or more of the following:
- Direct contribution of personnel or tangible assets such as vehicles, computers, etc
- The development of a new community asset that enhances the quality of life for the entire community or a specific sector of the community
- Can also involve financial assistance towards community-oriented education, cultural and sports activities as well as environmental protection/enhancement projects;
- Greater weight will be given to unique or innovative initiatives
The award recipient is defined as a company that has been operating for more than two years and whose primary business is not community service.
EMPLOYER OF THE YEAR AWARD (An Employee Choice Award) - One Award
Nominated by Employees, this award will be given to a company that demonstrates exceptional commitment to its employees through job creation, training & support programs, morale initiatives, recognition & reward programs, employee health & wellness, and professional & personal development.
Employees: this is your chance to tell the community about the positive work environment your employer has created.
In a minimum of 300 words, (paragraph or point form) describe:
- How your employer has made your workplace an exceptional place to be employed
- Some of the innovative ways your employer supports its employees and works to facilitate their growth and development
- How the culture at your workplace encourages employees to be respected and engaged
- How your workplace culture reflects the importance of work/life balance
- Any other examples of what makes your employer exceptional
ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR - One Award
Definition of Entrepreneur: A person or team who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk. Characteristics of an entrepreneur: Passionate, competitive, goal-oriented, disciplined, organized, driven, energetic, positive, self-reliant, etc.
The award recipient will be an individual or team that has created or enhanced a product or service and accomplished one or more of the following:
- Development or enhancement of a product or service that is unique;
- The product or service has achieved a high level of success resulting in business growth as demonstrated by increased revenue, employment, etc;
- The product or service may be an expansion of an existing market segment or an entirely new product for the domestic and/or export markets.
The award recipient will be an individual or team that has been operating for more than two years.
ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD - One Award
The Environmental Award will be given to a business that best demonstrates a commitment to environmental stewardship and conservation through meeting one or more of the following:
- Manufactures, markets or implements an innovative green product or technology in a sustainable manner;
- Demonstrates a commitment to future growth and development of green technology;
- Educates their employees and customers on the advantages of adopting green products/technology
- Demonstrates that practices and processes will be increasingly sustainable in the future
The award recipient will be an individual or company that has been operating for more than two years.
THE JANE & PHIL ESSELTINE POSITIVE CHANGE AWARD - One Award
The Jane & Phil Esseltine Positive Change Award will be given to an individual who has significantly contributed to the betterment of Tillsonburg as demonstrated by their creativity, community involvement and spirit. This individual will be a “Made in Tillsonburg” story and be between the ages of 16 – 35 (inclusive) as of December 31, 201.
The award recipient will be a business owner (or working for a company or non-profit organization) and will be selected using the following criteria:
- Community Involvement through one or more of the following: Education, Health, Sports, Arts, Town Committees
- Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Growth Oriented